PROBLEM WITH LEMON TREE - Knowledgebase Question

Question by jeffreyd0
I live in south Mississippi. I planted a Lisbon lemon tree in March and have noticed the leaves are falling off
from the bottom up,however, there is some new growth on top of the tree however.What is wrong with the tree?

Lemon trees are evergreen, meaning they retain their leaves for 2-3 years but eventually the leaves are shed by the tree and new leaves should grow in their places. If you're not seeing new leaves develop and the branches remain bare, there's a water stress issue. Soggy roots can cause leaf drop, as can droughty conditions. New growth indicates the roots are reasonably healthy, though, so you may want to water your tree carefully to encourage healthy new growth and prune off any obviously dead branches. Before pruning scrape the bark of the branches with your fingernail. If it's still green beneath the bark, it's still alive. If you see no green, cut off the dead branches. Hope you have a great harvest!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"