Strange Garlic! - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by georgeareid
Planted Garlic(not organic)that had sprouted in my fridge many months ago.I waited until the stalk turned yellow and fell over to dig them up.Thing is all of the garlic came from the same bulb,but some of it came up looking almost like a red onion with a main clove and a small side clove.1 had 3 bulbs grown from 1 clove 2 sets of red on the outside and 1 white in the middle,why are they different?

0

Garlic in the grocery stores is often treated with a growth inhibitor so it won't sprout on the grocery shelves. As you've discovered, it will eventually sprout. The sprout uses up most of the energy stored in the clove and the clove usually disintegrates underground. But as the stem grows it collects energy from the sun and transports it back to the clove. The clove then will produce offsets or new cloves. The color difference you're finding is simply that the center or oldest clove is white (indicating maturity) and the newer cloves are red - indicating they are not fully mature. If you replant the offsets they will grow and mature into white cloves. Hope this clarifies things for you!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "