Garlic - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by georgeareid
I planted and had reasonable success with grocery store garlic that sprouted in my fridge.Question is can this be eaten since it was probably sprayed with the growth inhibitor. Also since the sprayed garlic grew,can I get some of it to sprout in the fridge to grow in my garden and if so will the effects of the inhibitor potentially impact the next generation or would it only impact the first group

0

You're right - garlic and onions are treated with a chemical growth retardant to keep them from sprouting in the store or in storage. It will retard the growth but not stop it all together. It's perfectly safe to consume the garlic that has been treated. The retardant is a growth hormone extracted from the plants themselves. The hormones applied to the garlic eventually wear off. Once the garlic begins to sprout it will produce new garlic which will also be safe to eat.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"