Question on top soil in my lawn getting soggy after rain - Knowledgebase Question

Redmond, Wa
Question by sunnyv6
The top soil in my lawn gets very sofggy, is very damp and loose after every rain and that may be the reason I developed moss after last winters.

Is there anything I can do to improve the confition of my lawn such that rain does not destroy my lawn?

0

I suspect that there's compost or other organic matter in the topsoil that swells up when it absorbs rainwater. Eventually the compost will decompose and you won't see the swelling. There's not much you can do except wait for it to decompose. You can try rolling the lawn when the lawn is dry to help compact the soil, but you'll still have to wait for the organic matter to decompose before you'll see any real changes in the lawn.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"