beets - Knowledgebase Question

Pinon Hills, Ca
Question by Favgrandma
my beets are growing the green tops but nothing is happening as far as the beets themselves. I know you can eat the greens but I only want the beets. Please help. Do I need to tear them out and start again? I am in the upper desert in So. Calif.

0

Root crops always seem to be slow to develop roots. Carrots and beets are especially reluctant to grow large roots if the soil is compacted or clayey. Sandy soils or soils amended with lots of compost or other organic matter are the best for growing beets and carrots. At this point, just keep watering your plants and give them more time to mature. Eventually they will and you can harvest them. Best wishes with your beets.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"