My 3 yr. old hydrangea - Knowledgebase Question

South Euclid, Oh
Question by barbaracram
I purchased this hydrangea 3 yrs ago (form H.D) and it still has not bloomed. It doesn't have any buds yet this years. I've used Holly Tone, amended the soil. I don't know what else to do. It's in the sun. Please help. I have two more than are doing fine. I'm in Zone 5 - clevealnd,oh.

There are only a few things that will stop a hydrangea from blooming: immaturity (probably not if yours is 3 years old), lack of sufficient sunshine (4 hours of morning sun is best), or pruning at the wrong time of year. Some types of hydrangeas bloom on new growth that develops on old wood (last year's growth). If your hydrangea regularly dies down to ground level, there will be no old wood on which new, flowering stems can develop. The same can happen if you prune your plant all the way down to ground level in the fall or in the spring. There's not much you can do to encourage blooming if your plant dies down to ground level each year. Try to determine the cultivar you are growing. It may be the wrong type for your climate. Endless Summer hydrangeas bloom on both old and new growth so it might be a better choice for your growing region.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"