grape vines - Knowledgebase Question

hessmer, Lo
Question by sheliahumphr
I live in louisiana and was wondering if there are certain types of grapes that grow better here and how do i go about make an inexpensive support for them to grow on?

0

The native American Muscadine grapes and some French-American cross-breeds are resistant to disease and thrive most in this region. Popular among these hybrids are Miss Blue, Miss Blanc, MidSouth, Stover, and Orlando. Grapes will need about an 8 by 8 support structure. A basic trellis is set up much like a fence. The height and shape of your trellis will depend on the type of grape you're growing but all you need are 4 by 4 fence posts with wire in between on which to train the vines. I have mine growing on a split rail fence. The vines completely cover it in the summertime and I prune everything back in the winter and remove it from the fence. Best wishes with your grape growing project!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"