spinning composter - Knowledgebase Question

Deer Park, Ne
Question by vickyru
In Long Island, NY climate, what do I do with an all plastic spinnig composter during the winter? Do I empty it, continue to utilize it, cover with tarp? I've never had one and do not know how these composters are stored or used over winter. Thanks for your help.

As organic matter decomposes it heats up. As long as your compost is working - as long as you turn the compost and add fresh material periodically, your compost will continue cooking and will keep the composter warm enough to avoid freezing. If you're not sure you'll be able to turn the compost bin and add fresh organic matter throughout the winter months, you'll want to empty the composter at the end of the summer and store it in an above freezing place. You can bury the nearly decomposed contents in the garden and it will finish decomposing all by itself. Best wishes with your garden and your compost.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"