old rose cutting to bloom - Knowledgebase Question

Mukwonago, Wi
Question by CABratberg
I took a small clipping from an over 100 year old climbing rose bush my mom planted in Pa. brought it back to Milwaukee, babied it for two years. It didnt die but I moved it to the East side of the house and now it is almost out of contol. Someone said,if it is a cutting, it probably won't get flowers on it. Is this true? I hope not as It is the only thing I have from my childhood. ?? Carol B

0

A rose cutting will grow into an exact duplicate of the parent plant. There's no reason, other than environmental, that your rose will not bloom for you. Roses need all day sunshine (at least 8 hours of direct sun) in order to bloom. Too much shade might encourage diseases and too much nitrogen will encourage lots of green growth, at the expense of flowers. As long as your rose bush is getting adequate sunshine, it will bloom. Climbers flower on lateral stems that grow from the upright canes. It may take 4-5 years for the plant to mature enough to develop flowers, but with the right exposure to sunlight, it eventually will flower. Enjoy your rose!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"