Planting a pink strawberry plant - Knowledgebase Question

McKinleyville, CA
Question by abquilts
Hello, I want to thank you for giving me such an indept answer to my 'repotting plants'question - I put it in my folder to keep.

This is an easy question concerning the proper planting of the pink strawberry. I want to put down the weed cover cloth first, but wonder if the plant can grow with its tentigles on the cloth, or does it have to have earth all the way.

Thanks again for all your help. You're a garden's dream.

Glad you've found our advice helpful! Feel free to stop by anytime. You're right about Pink Panda Strawberries. They make terrific groundcover plants but in order to spread they'll need to be able to make contact with the soil. These plants send out runners, just like any other strawberry plant and the runners need to be able to root in the soil. Weed control can be a problem in areas with groundcover plants until the plants become established so you have a real quandry on your hands. Instead of weed block fabric, how about putting a 3 inch deep layer of compost or other organic matter on the ground around the plants. As the plants send out runners you can brush away the compost so the runner can root. To make sure no weeds grow in the area you can start by placing several thicknesses of newspaper on the bare ground around the plants and then placing your 3" layer of organic matter on top. The newspapers will exclude sunlight which will keep weed seeds from sprouting and the organic mulch will keep the area looking nice and neat. I've used this method in my own garden and it works really well. Hope it works as well for you!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"