strawberries-topsy turvey - Knowledgebase Question

Question by jstreet766
since they are perennials if i bring into unheated garage will they come back?? any suggestions to keep growing big berries?

Overwintering perennials in containers at home takes some experimentation and in my experience, some luck. The main concern in placing them in a garage is that it may be too warm. If your strawberries do not go into dormancy you'll need to water them to keep them alive and if there's poor air circulation, the crowns can rot. If you hang the planter in the garage and the garage remains cooler than 45 degrees, you might be able to coax the plants into dormancy. If so, they will not need to be watered but will just sit patiently until things heat up and you begin watering again. I'd take a chance. Wait until this fall when nighttime temperatures are about 45 degrees and the plants begin to slow their growth. Hang the planter in the garage and withhold water. If the plants are going into dormancy the leaves will dry out and die. Just leave them alone. I'm afraid if you prune them off you'll wake up the plant! As long as you see no new sprouts and no new leaves, the plants are dormant. If you do see new growth, you'll need to water the plants to keep them alive. Hope this is clear enough!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"