Vegetable Blight - Knowledgebase Question

Middletown, Co
Question by efolsom6
Hi, for the last two years in my vegetable garden, everything has died an early death: cucumbers, squash, and tomatoes. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? I have purchased plants, but haven't planted them yet because I am considering doing all containers to avoid the die-off. My local Agway said there is really nothing I can do. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

I think I'd give the garden another try. Start by amending the soil with compost (spread 3-4 inches over the top and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches). Try to plant your veggies in different spots in the garden than they were growing before (crop rotation can help stop the cycle of diseases). Be sure your plants are spaced far enough apart to allow for growth plus some air circulation around each plant. And, when you water, apply water to the soil, not to the plant leaves. After planting everything, spread another 2 inches of compost or other organic matter onto the soil surface. Between keeping the leaves dry, promoting good air circulation around each plant, working some compost into the soil, and spreading compost over the top of the soil to keep the dirt from splashing up onto your plants, your veggies have a good chance of remaining healthy throughout the growing season. If you see something suspect - spots on leaves, yellowing or dying leaves, be sure to cut them off the plant and remove them from the garden. This way, just in case the spots or wilts are from disease, you'll be able to stop the spread of pathogens. Hope you have a terrific harvest!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"