Eradicate Ivy - Knowledgebase Question

Orinda, Ca
Question by cwilliams8
How do I kill ivy that is growing on a fence? There are shrubs nearby that I do not want to harm. Thanks, Catherine

0

There are no easy solutions. Anything that kills ivy will also kill your shrubs. The best approach is to cut the ivy down and dig out the roots. If you don't remove the roots, the ivy will resprout. It's sometimes possible to control the ivy by painting the stubs with glyphosate (Round Up) immediately after cutting the vines. The herbicide will be transported back to the roots and will kill off the roots that it touches. However, untreated roots will resprout so you'll need to be diligent about hoeing them down and immediately painting the stubs with glyphosate. It can take a year or two but with careful management you'll eventually kill the ivy.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"