used potting soil - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Fe, Ne
Question by mha6445010
In classes I've atteneded it's always been stressed that new potting soil for containers be used each year. What do I do with the old?

0

I reuse my potting soil. As long as the plants that were growing in it were healthy, there's no reason not to reuse the potting soil. It can become depleated after a year or two of use and you can regenerate it by adding fresh potting soil, mixing everything together and filling your containers for this season's plants. The only exception would be if you are growing tomatoes that become diseased. Some diseases can remain in the soil and affect next year's tomatoes. If you decide not to reuse your potting soil, or if you have some you suspect, you can bury it in your garden or use it as mulch over the top of the soil in your garden. Hope this answers your question!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"