Something Eating Poplar Tree Leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Casa Grande, Ar
Question by jsul35
I live 10 miles west of Casa Grande,az in the desert and have a poplar tree.Was doing great until some kind critter decided they had found meals. I need your help to identify the varmint and what I can do about it before it eats the whole tree (it's no more than 3 months old but was doing well). It had grown 2-1/2-3 ft. I have a picture of a leaf but don't know how to get it to you. Thanks

0

A number of insect pests can feed on poplar leaves, as can desert tortoises, rabbits and other critters so even looking at a leaf won't help us determine the cause of the problem. I would be inclined to make a cylinder out of hardware cloth to place over the little tree. This will keep four legged critters away. Make a top for the cylinder and set it on overnight, just to make sure your tree is safely barricaded. You might check with Master Gardeners or your county extension agent to see if they can figure out what's lurking in your neighborhood in terms of insect or other pests. I hope they can help identify the culprit!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"