Best Insecticides - Knowledgebase Question

Oviedo, Fl
Question by homedepotgar
What are the best insecticides to use while having the least impact on beneficial insects (bees, butterflies, dragonflies, ladybugs, mantises, wasps, etc.)?

I'm trying to defend tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, peppers, assorted berries, lettuce, herbs, cantaloupes...)

0

Any insecticide you use on your veggies will have an adverse affect on all insects that visit your garden, whether they be destructive or beneficial. The best approach is to closely monitor your garden and hand pick any insect pests you see. If there's a population of bad guys, beneficial insects usually come to the rescue and restore the natural balance in your garden. If you need to use pesticides, choose the least toxic available, with the least amount of residual effect, and spray in the evenings when bee activity is lowest. Some organic products to consider include Permethrin such as Bonide Eight Vegetable, Fruit & Flower Insect Control, or Rotenone (Rotenone Garden Dust by Bonide). There are other brands in your garden center. In my own garden, I find that a strong spray of water from the hose usually dislodges insect pests. They may crawl back up onto the plants but while they are down, they're not feeding! Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"