Mold on soil? - Knowledgebase Question

milford, Co
Question by sanvicwan
I recently potted annuals in very large pots on my very sunny deck in CT. I used a mix of Miracle Grow potting soil and Miracle Grow garden soil. I now have a white ? mold growing on the surface of the soil and I am afraid that it will harm the plants. Will it? What should I do?

0

The white substance could be a mold. If it looks fuzzy it probably is and all you need to do is scrape it off the surface and remove it from the pot. Fuzzy mold will grow if the top of the soil remains too wet. You can avoid the problem by allowing the top of the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. Or, the white substance may simply be a salt build up on the surface of the soil. This can happen if you use a liquid ferilizer or if the potting soil has fertilizer in the mix. Again, it is harmless and can be scraped off the soil surface. Best wishes with your new container garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"