Did I burn my lawn? - Knowledgebase Question

Carlsbad, Ca
Question by melissacalla
I believe I may have overfertilized and burnt part of my grass. What can I do now? Is it gone for good or will it come back? Thanks, Melissa

0

Too much fertilizer can certainly burn the lawn. If you're lucky, only the blades will show damage. The worst case scenario is that the roots were also burned. You can try flooding the lawn to rinse away some of the excess fertilizer. You'll know in about a week whether or not the damaged lawn will sprout healthy new grass blades. Just water on your regular schedule and look for new green growth. If you see nothing at the end of two weeks, the roots were also damaged and you'll need to overseed the lawn. First you'll want to flush as much of the excess fertilizer out of the lawn as possible. After flooding it 2-3 times, rake the bare areas and broadcast seeds. Keep them well watered and they should sprout in about a week. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"