Bark removed by weedeater - Knowledgebase Question

West Palm Beach, Fl
Question by alleykatpb
I have a one and a half year old mango tree that my gardener wacked with his weedeater removing about three inches of bark at the base a few months ago. The tree has continued to grow sprouting new leaves and three brances at the top. I did not realize until today that the tree had been damaged. Is there anything I can do to encourage the bark to grow back or will it do so on its own?

0

The bark will callous over the wound all by itself. Don't be too concerned about the damage. If you only just noticed the damage, and the mango is still growing well and looking healthy, not much damage was actually done by the weed whacker. You may want to protect the trunk from further damage by driving a few stakes into the ground 6-8 inches away from the trunk to stop the string from getting too close to the bark of your mango.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "