fatuosum care - Knowledgebase Question

Name: karen sklar
newhall, Ca
Question by karenleeskla
What do I do with two different huge fatuosum I have (a giant variant of pride of madeira)? Am I supposed to cut them back? Save seeds? Pull them out completely? There was one other variety that is happily blooming at a reasonable height that looks like a normal perrenial. I think one of the three is not a repeater but I can't remember which one.

0

Echium fastuosum is a half hardy biennial. They grow vegetatively the first year and flower the second year. If you allow the flowers to develop seed pods you can collect the seeds and plant them or you can just let them fall to the ground where they will sprout into new plants. Once the seeds have developed you can pull the plants out. Or, you can cut off the faded flowers before they have a chance to set seeds and it's possible the plants will produce a second flush of blooms later in the summer. If you do this, allow the second flush of flowers to develop seeds before you pull the plants out of the garden.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"