My yellow squash is dying where flower attaches. - Knowledgebase Question

Kill Devil Hills, No
Question by ljswpugh
My squash plants look healthy. After the flower blooms and the squash begins growing, my squash will start rotting where the flower should fall off.

Squash plants develop separate male and female flowers. If the female flower is pollinated it will grow a squash. The male flowers will simply drop off. If the female flower is not completely pollinated a baby squash will begin to grow but then it will die. So, incomplete pollination is probably to blame. If the flowers are not dropping off cleanly, they may be getting wet (rain or water from the hose) which will make them stick to the stem instead of falling off. The stuck flower will then begin to decay which can also cause that part of the stem and vine to decay. Try to keep irrigation water off the tops of the plants and you'll be able to avoid this problem. Good luck with your squash.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"