Holly Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Nashville, Te
Question by Vandyville16
I have 2 holly's.One of which the leaves turned brown and dropped.Not sure what variety it is.It's about 30ft.tall.It's staring to grow new leaves again at the bottom branches.But not yet anywhere else.We had a below a 10 degree winter this year.Do you believe the rest of the leaves will grow back? And what may I do to help it along,maybe some tree spikes for fertilizer?

Winter dieback can affect only the leaves or it can actually kill some branches back. You won't really know until later this summer. If the tops do not leaf out you may have to prune your hollies to remove all the dead wood and to encourage healthy new growth. You can feed your hollies if you'd like. The bottom line is that your hollies really only need time to recover, gain strength, and replace the leaves. I hope they recover fully!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"