Tree rings - Knowledgebase Question

Omaha, Ne
Question by Cats402
I have 2 very large trees. The one in front is Acorn tree. I put some flag stone around it and plan to try Irish moss to grow around flagstone. Because of the mess each fall,I'm want to make it easier to clean up. If I mulsh, it'll probably wash into the lawn each rain? I assume digging an edging in would hurt the tree's roots? I'm trying to cut back on grass trimming. Ideas?

I think you're on the right track - mulch may very well wash away during the rains so I like your idea of planting moss. It will give a finished edge to the flagstones and will stay in place after the roots knit into the soil. Digging an edging may or may not harm the roots. You'll have to try exploring the area to see how many, if any, roots might be in the way. I wouldn't dig a trench, but a shallow edging shouldn't hurt the roots to any great degree. Usually the surface roots are expendable, at least as far as putting in a shallow edging. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"