contorted filbert - Knowledgebase Question

massillon, Oh
Question by buckeyenativ
we have a mature (at least 12 years old)contorted filbert whose leaves were decimated two years ago by japanese beatles. Last year we noticed some dead branches in the middle of the tree, so we cut back the dead, leaving a gaping hole in middle. This year only the bottom third of tree has any leaves and they are sparce. The top of tree is dead. there are some suckers. what do we do to save tree?

0

If the top of the tree is truly dead, you can prune it off. It may or may not sprout a new top. With any luck one of the branches closest to the top will take over and become the new central leader. The suckers indicate the roots are still alive and vigorous, but if you allow the suckers to grow, the suckers can turn your filbert into a shrub rather than a tree. I'd prune back the suckers so the energy is redirected into the main trunk of the tree. I hope the tree resumes healthy growth at the top. If not, you may want to remove and replace it with a healthy new specimen. I wish I had something more positive to share. Good luck with your contorted filbert.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"