Damage to Norway Maple - Knowledgebase Question

Blairsville, Pe
Question by marmick
Our Norway Maple has a split or crack going down the trunk. There appears to be sap running out of the split, but it smells more like decay. The tree looks very healthy otherwise. Is there something I need to do to protect the tree?

0

When trees are damaged by splits in the trunks they usually callous over them in time. There's not much you can do in terms of repairing the injury other than to keep it as healthy as possible with regular watering and a spring feeding. The sap should coagulate and block, or fill in the split later this summer. The best thing to do is nothing at all. Just wait to see if the tree can overcome the injury. Or, if the tree is valuable, you may want to call a certified arborist to inspect the tree and make recommendations. I hope your norway maple makes it!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"