Stunted growth - Knowledgebase Question

glenwood, Il
Question by stephcedtoo
HI! My garden pinks'(dianthus')growth seems to be stunted and I am wondering why.I have them planted in direct sun(6-8hrs)along with lobelias which seem to be doing fine, but my pinks are slow to flower.I have the same arrangement in my frnt yard but the only difference is the front gets only 4hrs of indrect sun.They seem to do better with this, but all research says they like full sun.What gives?

You're right, dianthus likes direct sunshine but will tolerate some shade. I suspect the soil is the reason those in the back yard. Try amending the soil with some compost or other organic matter to enrich the soil. You can spread it around the plants and gently dig it into the soil. I think you'll see a big difference in their growth and their ability to flower. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"