Harvest time for carrots - Knowledgebase Question

glenwood, Il
Question by stephcedtoo
I tried planting them twice and each year they never grew more than an inch as if they were stunted. I checked the package to make sure they were supposed to be regular carrots and they were.Even left them in the ground one year over winter to see if they would grow more.When I pulled thenm out in the spring they were the same size..as if they were just sleeping thru the winter!

How disappointing for you. Carrots, and other root crops, grow best in sandy, loose, well draining soils. If your soil is compacted or clayey, carrots just won't perform well. Try working in some builder's sand and some compost or other organic matter to loosen the soil which will promote better growth. Hope your new crop performs well for you!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"