Echinacea - Knowledgebase Question

Joppa, Ma
Question by eamaas
I have several echinacea plants in the garden. All are nice and tall with plenty of buds. Two or three of the plants have become wilted and the leaves tend to curl inwards. There is no evidence of bugs under the leaves. Could this be some kind of viral or bacterial wilt? If so, how do you treat it. Not all plants are affected.

I dont' think it's a disease but rather a reaction to the sunshine and to water stress. Coneflowers like well draining soils and they are drought tolerant once established. If your soil is clayey and holds moisture well, the roots may not be happy with the amount of water you're providing. Try digging down near the roots to see how moist (or dry) the soil is. Water as usual and then check again in 3-4 days. If the soil is still moist, it's not draining fast enough for your coneflowers. You can dig and amend the soil or you can just leave them for this season and dig and amend the soil early next spring. Best wishes with your echinacea.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"