Exposed roots - Knowledgebase Question

Sinking Spring, Pe
Question by barbaraavo
I have had a Yoshino Cherry tree for about 10 years. It is one of a pair flanking the driveway so I do not want to lose the tree. About 2 years ago the bark began peeling away on one side about 2 feet from the bottom exposing fibrous roots. This cannot be good. What can I do to remedy this situation? Thanks

Peeling bark can indicate a physical injury or a disease so I'm not sure what to suggest to you. Generally physical injuries callous over in time. If it hasn't calloused over in 2 years, there may be a disease at work. I can't diagnose it without inspecting the tree so the best advice is to take photos of the problems and then take them into your extension office for professional diagnosis. You may have the option of emailing them to your extension office. Contact Penn State University Cooperative Extension, 1238 County Welfare Road, Suite 110, Berks County Ag Center
Leesport, PA 19533-9709, Phone: 610-378-1327, Fax: 610-378-7961, Email:

Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"