flowers - Knowledgebase Question

hilliard, Oh
Question by seeuonthetop
I have an L shaped flower bed in corner of driveway under a tree. Gets sun on one then the other early in morn and late afternoon. I would like to have some flowers with color, perrenials if possible but not necessary I suppose, and don't know which kind would survive there. I currently have only sweeet potato vine, hostas and coleus in there which has some color but not bright or much variation

Hostas are everyone's first thought when it comes to plants for shady gardens, but there are lots of others to include: Astibe - comes in a variety of colors and produces clumps of fluffy flower spikes - best planted in groups; some varieties can grow up to 40" tall. Plant in rows with the 20" variety in front, 30' in the middle and 40" in back for a colorful display. Foxglove - These impressive flowers can grow up to 5 feet tall and have large spikes filled with bell shaped flowers. Comes in a variety of colors. Lily Of The valley - dainty white bell shaped flowers give off a wonderful fragrance. They grow to about 6" tall. Trollius - In bright orange or lemon yellow, these grow to about 2 ? feet. They bloom from June to July and make great cut flowers. Variegated Solomon Seal - this interesting shade loving perennial grows to about 20" and has yellow rimmed green leaves on arched stems. It produces dainty white flowers in spring and dark blue berries in fall. Virginia Blue Bells - Lavender bell shaped clusters adorn this very hardy and easy to grow plant. Grows to around 2 feet tall. Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"