flowers in pots - Knowledgebase Question

Chino Hills, Ca
Question by gobear6000
Sir, I want to put a potted flower plant between my two garage doors, which face the north. There is plenty of sun beginning in the late morning. I would prefer a colorful rose, but I'm open to another type of flowering plant. Will you suggest a few flowers to me? Thanks, Bob, Home Depot Customer

To me, a rose is a shrub so I'll suggest some other flowering shrubs: Camelia ? There are many flower forms and growth habits for Camelias, and all are quite beautiful. Camelia generally bloom for 2-3 months in fall, winter, or spring, depending on weather and species. Prefer partial shade (strong sun can burn the leaves and bleach the flowers). Needs regular water when young then only moderate water as the shrub matures. Feed once or twice a year with a good general fertilizer for acid-loving plants.

Carpenteria californica (Bush Anemone) ? This evergreen shrub is a native of the California Sierra Nevada foothills. It is slow growing and will reach a maximum height of 3 to 6 feet. Blooms spring through summer with white anemone-shaped flowers 2-3 inches across. Watch for aphids and prune after flowering to shape.

Fuchsia - F. thymifolia is an erect shrub 3 to 10 feet tall and can be easily shaped. Blooms profusely from spring through frost with tine white, pink, red, or coral dangling blooms. Does very well in partial shade. Requires regular water and feed lightly every two weeks. If it is growing too leggy, pinch off ends of branches to encourage side growth.

Gardenia jasminoides - Intensely sweet white flowers on deep green shiny leaves. Single or double flowers, bushes growing to 4 feet. Gardenia are a little fussy. They prefer warmth and sun, but filtered shade in hot summer areas. They require regular water and a moist soil, regular feeding, and good drainage. They will also benefit from a regular morning misting or dew. Use a soil mix with plenty of peat moss. Best if planted alone in containers as they do not like competing for root space. Feed every 3-4 weeks during growing and bloom seasons with a fertilizer for acid-loving plants or with fish emulsion.

Hydrangea - These are beautiful bushes for containers, and will reward you with large clusters of blue to pink or white flowers over a long bloom period. They are fast growing, so prune to shape and remove stems which have already flowered. Leaves are large and beautiful, hydrangeas are deciduous, however, and will drop their leaves in winter.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"