Japanese Oak - Knowledgebase Question

Aliso Viejo, Ca
Question by rhoffenberg
I planted a Japanese red oak about two months ago and it seems to be dying. Do these tree go into shock and, if so, how do I reverse it. I followed planting instructions but its not working.

All landscape trees and shrubs can suffer some transplant stress but it usually goes away in 3-4 weeks. If your tree is still struggling, there's something going on with the root system. Water stress can certainly take its toll. If the soil doesn't drain well the roots can rot; if it drains very quickly, the roots can suffer from drought. The best way to water a newly installed tree is to make a watering basin or watering well by mounding up a few inches of soil all around the tree, about 12 inches out from the trunk. Water deeply once each week during the growing season by filling the well with water, allowing it to drain, and then filling it a second time. This will concentrate the moisture directly over the root mass and allow it to trickle down, wetting the entire root system. Try this and see if it doesn't help your tree adjust to its new home. Hope you see an improvement soon!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"