Transplanting older blueberry bushes - Knowledgebase Question

Lothian, Ma
Question by Lothian682
Because of upcoming construction I will have to take out two of my blueberry bushes. Hopefully they will have finiished bearing. I want to try transplanting them. I know they are shallow rooted. What tips can you give me on transplanting and how will this affect the bush that is next to them?

0

I like to soak the soil the day before I dig and transplant shrubs. I find moist soil easier to dig, and the rootmass usually stays together which translates into less stress for the plant. Dig straight down all around, using the width of the bush as your guide. Then as you dig down, dig towards the center of the plant. Expect the majority of the roots to be directly below the shrub and in the top 12 inches of soil. If you go slowly you won't sever too many roots. The more roots you keep from damaging, the less shock the shrub will suffer. I don't know whether or not the roots of adjacent shrubs are intertwined with the roots of the plants you want to remove so you'll just have to take it slow and easy so you won't do a whole lot of damage to either root system. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"