star jasmine - Knowledgebase Question

Sacramento, Ca
Question by stevendelong
I want to plant several star jasmine on the side of my house. I have a couple of plants already and I was told I could clip runners and place them in water, then they would root and I could plant them. Is this true? If so, how long do they need to stay in the water before planting? Then, what type of sun exposure do they like?

Thanks, SD

Tip cuttings may root in water for you but an easier way to propagate your existing plants is through a process called layering. Layering can take a month, or an entire summer season but it is much easier to do. To do it, simply bend a branch down to the ground in a "U" shape. Loosen the soil where it touches the ground. Wound the branch a bit on the underside where it touches the soil, and bury that base of the U lightly allowing the growing tip to show above ground. Cover the buried section with several inches of organic mulch such as shredded bark and weight it down with a rock if needed. Water occasionally to keep it moist but not soggy and check periodically for roots. Once a nice set of roots has developed you can separate it from the mother plant. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"