"Curly Leaf" on fuchsias - Knowledgebase Question

Hayward, Ca
Question by judysatarian
I have had this problem for a long time. I thought I would ask an expert. Is there a product or home remedy to get rid of this problem?
Thank you.
Judy Satariano judysatariano@att.net

Fuchsia gall mite (Aculops fuchsiae) are the the culprits involved. The fuchsia gall mite causes leaves and shoots to become thickened and distorted, sometimes forming irregular galls, but always making the leaves curl. Because fuchsias grow best where summers are cool, this mite is a particular problem in California.

To reduce problems, prune or pinch off and destroy infested stems and leaves. You can also control the problem with Ortho systemic miticide, or by applying Garden Safe Fungicide, Insecticide, and Miticide. Soap or oil sprays provide some control, but cannot kill the fuchsia gall mites enclosed in distorted plant tissue (so pinch or prune off the affect leaves and stems before spraying).

Be sure to apply according to label directions.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"