attracting hummingbirds - Knowledgebase Question

far rockaway, Ne
Question by Janam2u
I live in Queens, New York, and I am not sure if we even get hummingbirds here. Do you know if they have ever been spotted here and what to plant to attract them to come to my garden?

Hummingbirds do live in your area, and you can attract them by planting red, tubular flowers. There are many red-flowered annuals, perennials, vines, and shrubs to choose from and here is a list of some of the plants that most successfully attract hummingbirds: Trumpet honeysuckle, Trumpet-creeper, Cardinal-flower, Scarlet penstemon, Scarlet morning-glory, Cypress vine, Scarlet paintbrush, Scarlet salvia, Bee-balm, Fire pink, Scarlet petunia (yes, they do like petunias), Scarletbush and Coral bells. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"