garden soil - Knowledgebase Question

ackley, Io
Question by dlkieltys21
I recently had a large area of lawn tilled up for a garden. I am just planting pumpkins there this year. Seems there is a lot of sod left yet. I have gotten rid of lots, but I keep raking up more. Will it die, do I need to have all removed, will the pumpkin vines eventually die the sod out?? How should I continue to prepare before planting the seeds? Thanks.

0

If the roots of the sod are still alive, they can sprout in your garden. Since you plan to plant only pumpkins this year, I think a good way to keep the sod from resprouting is to cover the entire bed with a weed barrier cloth and then cut slits or X's and plant your pumpkin seeds or transplants. The weed barrier will keep the grass from growing in the bed so you won't need to do any weeding. An alternative would be to cover the bare soil between the plants with several thicknesses of newspaper or cardboard. Eliminating sunlight will help keep weeds and left over grass from sprouting in the bed. Good luck with your pumpkins!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"