Hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Huntington Beach, Ca
Question by mikejeanb
What is causing the leafs on my Hibiscus
Plant to get yellow splotches on them and flowers aren't blooming? I have put iron in the soil, fertilized and checked for insects and found none. There are no holes in the leafs.

0

The yellow splotched leaves are about to turn completely yellow and fall off the plant. Hibiscus is an evergreen and as such will retain its oldest leaves for 2-3 years. But as the leaves age and are about to be shed, the plant takes all of the chlorophyll and energy from the leaves for use elsewhere in the plant. The leaf will turn a bright yellow and then drop from the plant. A new leaf and stem will emerge where the old leaf fell off. The flowers will open when the weather is warm, a little later in the season. About the only thing that will keep a flower from opening is a little bud worm. Check the unopened buds. If the petals are tattered and torn, a bud worm has eaten the insides of the flower. These pests are hard to control because they are protected within the flower so the best approach is to simply remove the dead flowers and toss them in the trash. Eventually the bud worms will move away and your hibiscus will flower freely. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"