TIME TO DIG AND PLANT TREES AND HOW TO CARE FOR THEM IN POTS - Knowledgebase Question

Zionsville, In
Question by stonegateflo
JUST RECEIVED YOU ANSWER, I WAS HOPING YOU COULD REFER ME TO AN ONLINE ARTICLE AS TO WHEN TO DIG TREES BY VARIETY. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT MANY TREES SHOULD BEST BE DUG IN THE SPRING ONLY. HAVE A NEW QUESTION, IF YOU PLANT A SEEDLING IN A POT AND PLAN TO LEAVE IT THERE IN ZONES 4 AND 5, DO YOU NEED TO PROVIDE THE POT ANY INSULATION FOR WINTER. THANK YOU, LAWRENCE

0

Wish I could provide you with a chart or other resource, but I'm afraid you'll need to research each type of tree you want to dig and transplant to see if there is a best window of opportunity. I don't know where you got your information about digging only in the spring. Landscape trees and shrubs usually fare better when they are dug while dormant (winter) but most will adapt to being transplanted in the fall or in the spring months, as well. The only time to avoid digging and transplanting is in the heat of the summer - or if the ground is frozen.

Yes, you do need to insulate the roots of a potted plant over the winter months.

Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"