Knock out Roses - Knowledgebase Question

birmingham, Al
Question by dhlhmm
My knock out roses I feel should be doing better. I live in Birmingham, AL. They get full to part sun. I have been feeding bi-weekly doses of 13-13-13 and watering to keep moist as needed. shouldn't they maintain color with blooms coming and going? Also, is there a need to dead head after the blooms are done? Also, on my knock out trees I see small holes in the leaves???? Thanks.

0

Knock Out roses are considered self cleaning - you don't need to deadhead them but you can if you'd like. Like all roses, they will bloom sporadically throughout the summer. Since flowering takes a lot of energy, your plants will flower in a cycle. You'll see more flowers in the spring but as the plant spends energy on new leaves and stems, you'll see fewer roses in mid summer. In the cooler fall months you'll see lots of flowers again. It's just the nature of the plant. Small holes in the leaves may have been made by transient insects. If you're not seeing insects on the leaves, there's no need to use an insecticide. Shrub roses can take quite a bit leaf damage without harm to the plant so don't let a few holes in the leaves concern you too much. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Inimitable Ice Plant"