Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Dayton, Ne
Question by djcheek1
Last year I planted a weeping cherry tree. At the end of the summer I trimmed the branches. The new growth produced 3 branches from the cut 1. Why does this happen?
Dora J. Cheek

There are latent growth buds along the branches. When you prune the branches hormones within the branch redirect their energy to the latent buds. Generally you get two or more branches emerging from above the pruning cut. This helps some trees and shrubs fill out and remain dense but that's probably not something you want in a weeping cherry tree. Now that you know how your tree will react to pruning you may want to cut the branches shorter than you did before, expecting 2-3 new branches will be produced. So, instead of pruning off a foot of growth at the bottom of the branch, follow the branch up and prune it higher in the tree, where you want the new growth to emerge.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"