hi there! - Knowledgebase Question

Philadelphia, Pe
Question by sinnerchick1
I sent in a question but not sure if it went through or not....i have a nana plant....it has only sprouted 2 yellow flowers (1 at a time) and within the mornings they came up...by that same evening, something sllloooowwwllly ate the flower away Sad this is my first garden and even though its of 3 flowers and 2 bushes...im getting discouraged with it..any ideas or remedies?????

Hmm... sounds like the work of a caterpillar to me. Slugs also like to eat flower petals, but they generally feed at night or during the early morning hours when it's cool. Caterpillars will feed during the day. I hesitate of suggest a control measure because caterpillars can turn into butterflies. Look for frass (bug poop) on the leaves or on the soil around the plant. Frass looks like brown or black pellets. If you find any, caterpillars are at work. You may be able to find them by closely inspecting the stems and undersides of the leaves of your plant. If so, you can pick them off and transport them somewhere else in the yard - just in case they are butterfly larvae. Don't be discouraged! Gardens are for our enjoyment, but they are also the homes of many, many insects. You'll have to expect to see some damage to your plants during the season. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"