beginner here..ill be here alot! - Knowledgebase Question

Philadelphia, Pe
Question by sinnerchick1
i received a reply on the pest heres another question. i purchased the asiatic lily...VERY BEAUTIFUL ORANGE!!!! but within 2 weeks of planting it fully bloomed and now nthing but green..will it bloom again? should i do anything to it right now? all of my neighbors lillys are still in bloom :(

Asiatic lilies bloom only once a year so you've seen the beauty of your orange flower for this year but you can look forward to seeing it flower again next year. Lilies, depending upon species, will bloom in the spring or in the summer. Young plants with small bulbs won't give a very beautiful display, but older bulbs with more reserves will hold their flowers for a longer time. I suspect that yours suffered a little transplant stress which is why it stopped blooming. Leave the plant alone. All the green leaves and stems are manufacturing and transporting energy back into the bulb for next year's growth and flowers. Your neighbor's lilies are probably well established and will bloom for a few weeks longer than yours did this year, but next year you'll be right in the competition for the most beautiful blooms. Glad you stopped by. Feel free to send us a question any time.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"