when is the best time to plant? - Knowledgebase Question

Andover, Ne
Question by gmsl04191996
several plant nurseries have been offering sales on their plants these few weeks, Why? is it because summer is not a good time to plant? when is the best time then to plant? I was having doubt as to buy or not to buy because there must be a reason why those plant are on sale? I have a lot of questions in mind and I hope you will not get tired of replying. Thanks again.

It think the plants are on sale for a number of reasons: now's an excellent time to plant and the nurseries are enticing you to purchase their products by offering them at discount prices; some of the plants may be spring bloomers that are finished flowering for the year but will still make good additions to gardens; new nursery stock is being delivered every week or two and the nurseries want to move the old stock to make room for the new; vigorous plants can outgrow their nursery containers quickly and need to be planted in the ground so they can continue to grow and flower. And finally, it's labor intensive to keep growing plants watered and fertilized, especially when they are growing in those tiny containers so if nurseries sell the plants, even at a discount, they won't need to pay someone to water and deadhead the plants. It makes good sense to purchase plants on sale, as long as they look healthy and are growing well. Avoid those that look stressed or wilted or any that have spots or holes in the leaves. Hope this clarifies things for you!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"