tomato - Knowledgebase Question

phoenix, Ar
Question by cyrgoyen
my better boy tomato plants are loaded with tomatos but the leaves are turning brown and they are dying. they are watered daily. what do i do?

Your plants could be suffering from either early or late blight, which are caused by different fungi. Early Blight is caused by the Alternaria fungus. It overwinters on infected plant material, even seeds, so it's hard to completely remove the spore reservoir from the garden by cleaning up all the vines and fruit. Early Blight works slowly, whereas Late Blight (caused by the Phytophthora fungus) may kill plants within a week. The fungus is always growing somewhere and releasing spores into the air, which moves on wind currents.

If you are growing tomatoes in the same site every year, the soil could use a break from constant monocropping, but if you don't have room for a second plot, I suggest loading up the soil with good compost. Compost contains lots of helpful organisms which can work against disease organisms. Work a few inches into the existing soil, and then spread several inches on top of the soil as a barrier mulch. Once your tomatoes are planted, mulch with straw as well. Keep your plants healthy so they'll be in top condition to resist disease. Stake or cage them, and keep the lowest leaves from coming in direct contact with the ground.

There are other disease and pest problems that may be affecting your crop, such as Verticillium wilt and Fusarium wilt so I'm not sure what to recommend to you. Once you see the symptoms of these diseases, it's usually too late to save the plant. I'd just nurse it along and harvest as many fruits as you can, even if they are green. With any luck they'll mature off the vine. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"