How can we save a dying Cherry Blossom tree? - Knowledgebase Question

Lawrenceville, Ge
Question by ahissalopez
We bought two Flowering Cherry Blossom trees from HD about a month ago and while one tree is flourishing, the other is obviously dying. I water the struggling one frequently but truly have no idea how to save 'her' . . . does she need vitamins? minerals that soil isn't providing? Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

0

I'm sorry your tree is struggling. You should expect a little transplant stress when you plant landscape trees and shrubs but the plants usually adjust within a week or two and establish their roots, then put out new growth. Your unhappy tree may have some issues with the soil. It may not drain well enough or it may be hard and compacted enough that the roots cannot spread out. If you really want to save it, why not dig it up, loosen the soil in a large and deep area by digging with a shovel to break everything up, then refill the hole partially, mix in a little compost or other organic matter, tamp down the soil at the bottom of the hole and replant your tree. As long as it is planted and the same soil level as it was growing before, it should be happy. Then water it well to help settle the soil. You might also make a watering well or watering basin beneath the tree. Once a week fill the basin, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. This will concentrate the water directly over the root system and allow it to trickle down, wetting the entire root mass. Once a week should be all your trees need - twice a week if the weather is hot and your soil drains really well. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"