growing plants in containers - Knowledgebase Question

torrance, Ca
Question by glvzthesea
I'm interterested in trees,plams,anything big and tropical that I can grow in large pots. I'm in torrance CA. They will get mostly all day sun.

Virtually any plant will happily grow in a container, as long as the container is large enough to accommodate the root system and the soil drains well. Choose containers with lots of drainage holes in the bottom and fill with potting soil. To look nice, the container should be one third as tall as the plant. For example, if you have a 6' tall tree, use at least a 2' tall container. Something this large will be heavy enough to keep the plant from toppling over in the wind. Any tropical looking plant that's tolerant of the sun will adapt to container gardening. Banana tree, bird of paradise, hardy palms, etc. are good choices. Check your garden center for even more sun loving tropicals.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"