Flowerbed - Knowledgebase Question

Conway, Ar
Question by mfelty11
Help! I just started my first (north facing) flowerbed and it seems like most of my plants are dying, even the knockout roses. We tilled the ground after a hard rain, covered the area with weed barrier, then topped with mulch, and then dug our holes. We placed what was in the container in the hole and mixed with a fertilizer containing Miracle grow. My penstemon killed over almost instantly. ?

0

Sounds like you did a good job preparing the soil so I'm not sure what might be going on with your plants. It's reasonably normal for newly planted perennials and shrubs to go through an adjustment period after being transplanted but once the roots establish they generally perk up. This transplant shock can be a little more severe if the weather is hot. When you replant, try to provide some temporary shade for a week or two until the plants establish themselves. Once the roots are well established they will be able to tolerate more sunshine. Other than the heat and sunshine, I wonder if you over fertilized? Too much fertilizer can burn the roots and the plants will die within days. Instead of fertilizing when you first plant things, give them a couple of weeks to adjust to their new garden spots and then feed lightly. I think this will make a difference. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"