Mildew on phlox - Knowledgebase Question

Broad Brook, Co
Question by judyd4
I noticed a mildew on my perreninial Phlox and want to nip it in the bud before it destroys the plants like they did last year.

Phlox is susceptible to powdery mildew, and while you didn't describe the symptoms, I suspect that's the problem. Powdery mildew fungi spread quickest when the humidity is high and temperatures are between 50F and 90F. To discourage the disease, plant on sites with good air drainage, give the plants plenty of space, water during the morning only, and allow the soil to dry out between waterings. Remove any affected leaves, and if your plant is heavily covered with powdery mildew you should probably remove the entire plant so the infection doesn't spread. For heavy infestations of powdery mildew, sulfur or copper sprays can be applied weekly, starting in now in your area.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"