Slug problem - Knowledgebase Question

Orland Park, Il
Question by tfurhunt
I know about sluggo but is there another option to trap the slimmy Slugs? Something about drink beer w/ them... ?

Thank you

T Furjanic

There are couple of ways to trap slugs and snails. One is to place a shallow container of beer in the garden. You can use an old margarine or cottage cheese tub, bury it into the soil so only an inch or two is above ground level (so the slugs can climb in), and place an inch or two of beer in the bottom of the container. A Colorado State University study discovered that the critters' favorite beers are Kingsbury Malt Beverage (nonalcoholic), Michelob, Budweiser, Bud Light and Old Milwaukee, in that order. The other trap (the one I use successfully) is simply a terra cotta pot set upside down in the garden and propped up with a stick or a stone on one side. Slugs and snails like to hide so they crawl into to it because it is damp and dark. Every morning I pick up the pot, scrape out the slugs and reset the trap. Hope one of these traps works for you!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"